Tuesday 3 July 2012

Lamb Curry

I decided to do another post today, because although I only posted my first one today, I actually wrote it yesterday. And I actually followed my rice recipe today! Though evidently not well enough, because I added a bit too much water and didn't hear the microwave, so didn't fluff it up with a fork. IT came out kind of sticky, which wasn't so bad. It was still edible, and even tasty when mixed with my recipe for today.
Most of these recipes will come courtesy of my dad, who does most of the cooking here. I should also point out that the measurements and timings I give are very approximate. My dad generally adds pinches of this, and spoons of that, and wanders away to watch TV when cooking. It still comes out super yummy. And don't forget to play around with the recipes. Use fresh chillies, or a different meat etc.


This recipe is one of my favourites. It seems quite simple too (though I haven't made one myself!) but it tastes really really nice. I like the potatoes big and floury, and the gravy of this (the curry sauce that is) is quite thin, so when you mix the gravy with the rice, and mash the potato into it, you get a nice texture. I don't find this curry too hot either, though I guess I am accustomed to at least a bit of spiciness.


The finished dish!
Lamb and Potato Curry

Serves 4

750g leg of lamb cubed (including bones)
2 onions
2 - 3 cloves garlic
1 inch of fresh ginger
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chilli powder
Cinnamon stick
2 - 3 cloves
2 - 3 cardamom pods
2 potatoes
Garam masala, preferably homemade

1 hour preparation and cooking (except for cutting the meat)

  1. Roughly chop onions and, with the garlic and ginger, reduce to a paste with water in a food processor.
  2. Warm the oil in a pan and fry the paste on a low heat for 5 mins with the cinnamon stick, cloves and cardamom.
  3. Add the other spices and fry using the bhunau method (fry until it almost sticks to the pan, add water, then fry it until it almost sticks again).
  4. Add the lamb cubes and fry for 10 mins, until it is browned.
  5. Add salt according to taste.
  6. Add 500mls of water, cover and cook for 15 mins.
  7. Peel and quarter 2 potatoes and add them to the meat. Add more water if needed.
  8. Simmer on a low heat for 20 mins.
  9. Sprinkle with garam masala.
  10. Take meat off heat, and place in a nice dish to be served and eaten. Yum yum yum!


Delicious, non?
My sister and I absolutely love this curry. There's something quite comforting about it, having eaten it since we were little. Hopefully I'll also be able to get a recipe for homemade garam masala off my mum eventually but we'll see.

I have a vegetable recipe for tomorrow which I hope you'll enjoy.
Bye xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment